Police report due to defamation

HelloMy wife's ex boyfriend making rumours about me like i'm addicted to drugs and alcohol which affecting in my social and work relations so I want to know if I can make a police report about him since I have strong evednce and what chapter of law is considered in my situation.Best regards


Thank you for turning to Lawline with your question.

You can make a police report
Yes, you can make a police report. The applicable law is the Swedish Penal Code, that is brottsbalken (BrB). This could be a case of defamation which is a criminal offence. In swedish legislature a criminal offence is what is dictated in the Swedish Penal Code or in other criminal law legislature that induce penal measures (1 kap. 1 § BrB). You will find defamation as ärekränkning in 5 kap. BrB, which could be applicable in your case.

You may also have a right to financial compensation
You may have a right to financial compensation for damages caused by defamation. The applicable law for compensation is the Tort Liability Act, that is skadeståndslagen.

Best regards,

Anton Blomqvist
Fick du svar på din fråga?
Relaterat innehåll